Friday, May 30, 2008

Art Clay SIlver



I don't know how this will show up on line, but this is a photo of an Art Clay Silver pendant I made. It is a recognition piece for the Volunteer(s) of the year at the Cancer Association of Anderson (SC). I have made them since 2005, this is one I made last year. It is about the size of a quarter, with a textured surface and the letters CAA incised in the front. I then hand apply a star. Each pendant is different, purposely. I will not draw the star as a precise, pre-measured image, I just go for it. One of the recipients last year is a family friend and she let me take a photo of it while she was attending Relay For Life. I have gotten the approval from the Cancer Association to make her a pair of earrings to go with it, and any of the other past recipients are welcome to order them too.
In October of 2004, I went to Orlando, FL, to a wonderful bead shop called Bead Dreams. There, I took the certification course for Art Clay Silver. My instructor was Demi and she is one of the owners, with Ursula. I had such a wonderful time there. They are very nice people and talented too. Since that time, I have been teaching Art Clay Silver classes at The Mercantile. In fact, I have a full class tomorrow afternoon. It is a wonderfully diverse medium to work in. One of these days I have to try firing it to a piece of my Ebonyware...

3 comments:

Regina said...

oohh -silver and ebony - that would be cool!!!

I forget - have you done the Christmas ornaments in Ebony before? Those would be breathtaking with the silver!!!

When do you have my name again!?!?!

Higgins Design Studio said...

I haven't done the ornaments in the Ebony before, but I have done jewelry and magnets, some with silver or gold luster on them. I'm thinking more in the range of a decorative bowl, or maybe once I get the new kiln set up, one of the grapevine vases I used to do in terra cotta years ago. More of a showpiece. But first the trial and hopefully few errors.
Not sure when I have your name again... forget the new order of things. Let me see... this year I had Bill & Miwa, last year Sue & Jim, so this year I must have Terri & Rodney, next, Rick & Alice, so I am guessing I have your names in 2010.
Love you!
C

Regina said...

Good -2010 gives you time to get past the error stage...