Sunday, May 13, 2012

Life's surprises

Just as life seemed to begin to find some element of normalcy, something happens to cause turmoil.
A wonderful Christmas with Mom & Terri
As I posted before, my Mom passed away last July.  I have been having troubles getting my creative muse motivated & I am missing her so much.

My sister Terri did a lot in the last 5 years of Mom's life in taking her to appointments as I had previously.  Terri had a better mind for comprehending and retaining the medical information.  I would understand as they told me, but then it wouldn't make sense later.

Now, Terri is facing her own diagnosis of a Cystic Tumor on the surface of her brain.  And, like Mom, she is facing it head on with a great attitude and complete trust in her Neurosurgeon (one of the best in his field).

Terri is the closet to me in age of all my siblings.  We shared a room growing up, and now we share the responsibilities at the store.  Although our teen years we rough (whose aren't? that surge of hormones & trying to determine boundaries with the world is not easy for anyone)  we are very close now (as we are with the rest of the family - we are blessed that way!).  I know this is difficult for the rest of the family, especially those who are not nearby.  I remember from the years I lived so far away from most of the family. 

I am trying my best to be strong & to keep an even keel at the store & home.  Terri's surgery is tomorrow morning at 11.  We are keeping the store open.  Terri's husband will be at the hospital with her.  The procedure should take nearly 3 hours.  Dad & I will keep ourselves busy & act as the information hub for all of our family & friends.

This is the time I really wish Mom were here to talk to & hug & cry with.  I know the tears don't help Terri, but they are cleansing for me.

If anyone reads this, thank you for reading it all as it rambled on.

3 comments:

MaryH said...

Never DOUBT that your Mom is there with you. Someday I'll tell you how I KNOW this to be true. Many thoughts & prayers are coming your way. God is with you. This is all a part of HIS plan, even though we may not understand the 'why'. You are strong, but if you need to cry a little, then do it!! Terri will need you to be there for her. Let us know if we can help in any way. God Bless.

Anonymous said...

praying 4 terri

Joan Hawley said...

Hi Cindy, Keeping Terri, her surgical team and your family in my thoughts.